This recipe uses a whole chicken cut into smaller pieces with skin and bones for more flavour. You could use any chicken parts of your choice. Cinnamon sticks and cloves are added for a distinct taste to the already flavourful homemade chicken stock. The inclusion of simple ingredients like potatoes, carrots and onions makes this one pot dish a wholesome comfort food for your family.
To make this delicious comfort food, please click on the image below to view my video tutorial.
If you like my videos, please click on the “SUBSCRIBE” button on my YouTube channel and the notification bell icon to get notified when I post new recipes..
Thank you very much for your support.
YouTube link: https://youtu.be/wnvTwMPr7ko
- 1 whole chicken cut into 20 pieces about 1.4 kg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 4 small dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 litre homemade chicken stock or store bought
- 2 carrots cut into thick chunks
- 1 – 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 potatoes cut into halves
- 3 Tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 100 ml water
- Salt to taste optional
Cut a whole chicken into 20 pieces excluding the backbone.You could use chicken parts of your choice.
Do not throw away the backbone which can be used to make chicken stock.
In a skillet with some cooking oil, add cinnamon sticks, cloves, peppercorn and dried bay leaves.
Stir fry until aromatic.
Add sliced onions and fry until translucent.
Add garlic and stir fry for a while.
Add the bone-in chicken pieces with skin on.
Add light soy sauce and sesame oil and mix together with the chicken pieces.
Pour in the homemade chicken stock or store bought.
Add the carrots which have been cut about 1 to 2 inch chunks.
Add dark soy sauce. More if you prefer the broth to be darker.
Cover the skillet and let it boil.
Add potatoes and cover the skillet. Lower to medium heat and let it simmer for about 30 mins.
Remove cover and scoop out any scum floating on the surface.
Add shaoxing wine and cornstarch mixed in 100 ml water.
MIx well to thicken the broth.
Add salt to taste (optional)
Ready to serve with steaming hot rice.
- Instead of cutting a whole chicken, you could use chicken legs and / or breast meat.The total weight should be around 1.4 kg.
- You could remove the skin for a healthier choice. But the flavour comes from the fat in the skin.
- If you do not have chicken stock, you could just use water and chicken cube / powder but the broth will not be as tasty.